The ignorant speeches of politicians, and then, a “sorry, it was a mistake…but I am correct” news, and Khap’s “colorful” judgments are in full form these days.
Reading the newspaper today, I came across this statement about women…
VijayVargiya, a minister in M.P. stated,
“Agar aurato ne lakshman rekha langhi, to Raavan same hoga….unhe maryada me rehna chahiye…”
(If women cross their limits, then they will be in danger…things will happen. They should remain in their limits…)
After his party found it a threat he “corrected it”
“Aurato ko ,maryada me rehna chahiye, agar ve maryada me rahengi, to samaj me vikriti nahi aa saktii…maryada ka ulanghan hone pe sitaharan hoga, aur Ravan saamne kahada milega…”
(Women should be in their limits, if they remain in their limits, then society will not rot…crossing their limits, they will be kidnapped…they will find Ravans (ie, here, Rapists) infront of them…)
Is this CORRECTION???
Now, Sita! One of the most unfortunate girl/women in our history of Hinduism…
She went with her husband RAMA on Vanvaas (14 years of exile in a forest) and was kidnapped by the demon king “Ravana”(in the absence of her husband Rama and brother in law Laxmana, who made a “rekha” or line across the cottage of theirs, and asked her not to come out) who wanted to marry Sita, but for some sad reasons, wasn’t able to.
So now, then she lived in a garden called “Ashok Vatika” for time being.
Now what comes up? She remained there, and was later rescued by Lord Rama and his Vanar sena(Army of monkeys) later.
So, our minister sir told our women, that they would find a “Ravana” outside her limits.
So Mr. Minister,
1. Sita is an ancient lady. Too old a tale to connect to. And no one would take it as an example except Hindus. So…huh!
2. Now, we don’t have brother-in-laws like Laxman. (even not brothers always)
It would be fine to all girls here, if they found a “Ravana” as such. Ravana didn’t EVEN TOUCH Sita WITHOUT HER CONSENT. In short, he did nothing more than kidnapping, and giving her a comfy treatment.
4. Yes, by the way all men are following “Rama’s” principal here. Rama asked Sita to go through an “Agni Pariksha”(Standing on a burning pyre to prove her purity) because she had spent time in Ravana’s house. She had to prove her innocence. (HER????) He took her home only after that.
(Would he have left her if she didn’t prove???)
5. After returning to his empire, he sent exiled a pregnant Sita, because someone said, “Our ruler keeps a WOMAN in his house who has spent months in a “GAIR MARAD’S HOUSE” i.e., “unknown man’s home”. Our books say, he did that as a ruler (his duties were higher than his emotions for family). Sorry, but don’t understand how “punishing an innocent” was his “DUTY FOR COUNTRY”.
It just shows what the value of a woman is in our patriarchal society. Worse than a dog.
(I personally would like to live in the house of Ravana than Rama. Atleast I have some respect there, right?)
So, I don’t understand the concept of this speech by Mr. VijayVargiya.
Truth is, our society is dumb.
When we cant/don’t want to do something, we blame the victims, the innocent ones.
“Sir, this girl is bullying me..” “What a boy are you to get bullied by a girl! Shame! Go away…”“Inspector, I was jogging in the park, and someone pushed me down and took my wallet…” “You know him?” “No sir…I was not looking…he came from behind...” “Not paying attention to your surroundings and complaining…why did you need to jog this early in the morning? Huh!” “Mumma…these boys are always stalking me…” “Wear more those tight skinny jeans, wear skirts…. what else will happen?...” “But I was wearing salwaar….” “Don’t answer me back…why do you go out after the dusk…”
What beautiful society we live in, right? Nobody tells his boys not to disrespect girls? Nobody raises them to help women if they are at trouble, alone? Nobody tells them, they are a part of society, equal?
Nobody tells them women are living beings, not materials?
Nobody, not even mothers normally.
Any Hindus here offended? Sorry…but its my point of view, and many others… you are welcomed to share yours.
But hey! Comparing Rapists, molesters to Ravana? No way….
- Rapes happen in India, not Bharat: RSS chief (ibnlive.in.com)
- Women crossing their limits, like Sita, will be punished: BJP minister #WTFnews #Vaw #Rape (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Women who cross limits pay the price: MP BJP leader (ibnlive.in.com)
- Rewriting Indian Legends (therevealer.org)
- Are we trying to threaten Indian women with rapes as punishment for modernity, independence and self reliance? (indianhomemaker.wordpress.com)
- Delhi Gang-Rape: A Portrait Of Extreme Chauvinism (sfluxe.com)
- Ten things Indian Females should do to avoid rapes and eve teasing as per Indian Politicians. Do you agree them (realityviews.blogspot.com)
- BJP asks Madhya Pradesh leader to withdraw remarks (vancouverdesi.com)
- BJP minister who said women will be punished like Sita if they cross limits withdraws remarks (ndtv.com)
- Her-stories (thehindu.com)